roguecrafter: tea stained paper background, text reads "Rogue Crafter", open source image of Victorian hands sewing/knitting (Default)

Not wanting to “waste” expensive fresh berries on dyeing yarn – or rather be chastised by my household for doing so – I decided to see what would happen if I used frozen mixed berries.


First I blended the berries in a blender with some water as though I was making a smoothie. I added a bit more water for volume and simmered the concoction for about an hour. I may have thrown in some salt.

After an hour, I drained the seeds and dregs and was left with this dye bath and some dregs I won’t show you. I strained them through a paper towel and a colander for the curious.


Then I let the dye bath cool, added 1/2 cup of vinegar and my yarn (handspun blue faced Leicester) and heated in an aluminum pot until I could just see steam. I removed from heat, added the lid, and left it to sit overnight. (The aluminum pot is supposed to help set the dye because some of the aluminum seeps into the water…we shall see!)


I got this beautiful purple-gray color as a result:


Really pleased. Am knitting it into a handspun wingspan shawl for myself.

Date: 2013-07-17 01:26 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] st_aurafina
st_aurafina: Rainbow DNA (Default)
So soft and pretty!

October 2013

2021 2223242526

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 19th, 2017 05:01 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios